Monday, May 25, 2015

Why are we "here"?

I love giving others compliments, encouragement, any words of affirmation. I also enjoy getting them, I'm not the best at receiving them because I feel like I need to turn right back around and compliment them but I do like them. I also can't except them very well, I like get weird and the words thank you just don't come out. 

This week I thought a lot about purpose. Why am I here, what is my purpose. What am I good at. This thought came from a conversation me and my best friend had. Everyone struggles with saying positive things about themselves, and from a conversation that was typical for the two of us, Britt said "That's what I'm here for...well that and obviously many other reasons." I love knowing what others see in themselves, that way I can feed into areas maybe they don't see. Maybe it's the counselor in me. I don't know, but it was fun to challenge her to make a list of reasons she's "here". In return to her list I made a list of my own, because I like to challenge myself if I challenge someone else. 

So here's what I got...

Encouraging -- Everyone is capable of doing what they set their minds to. I don't want to hold anyone back, but move them forward.

Hugs -- Physical touch is not something I've been comfortable with but I get told that my hugs are great and I know that hugs show love and compassion.

Optimism -- With encouraging others I know that sometimes others won't see the possibility of a better outcome. I like to place that outcome as a possibility.

Forgiving -- I have been hated and I never liked the feeling of it. Holding a grudge or hating someone is to much work and forgiveness is a new freedom and a new possibility of a relationship. 

Intentionality -- I like to know I that others know I care so if I can go out of my way to remember something or put someone above me then I feel one step closer in that relationship. Remembering even the little things, others take notice of that. 

Sensitive -- I never thought it would be okay to cry. I never thought I would be able to show others sensitivity. But going through sensitive things and cry with other is an important relationship goal. 

Selfless -- I will go above and beyond to put you above myself. To give you what you need. To always help you and love you. 

It took me a good chunk of a time to write these out, but it's felt great to see the gifts that I've been given to share. To remind myself of my purpose and why I'm "here".

-Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment