Friday, September 11, 2015

Suicide Prevention Day

I could share my story with you like it happened yesterday, but it's not about the pain I went through anymore. It's about the love that I found, the love that brought me through the pain. I was 16 when I made my last mark to my body. Still young, but the four years of self-harm were never innocent. I had pain, I had a lot of pain, I wasn't sure if I wanted to live or die, and I had no one to talk to. 
------------------------------------------------
There are stories just like mine and people still hurting, and there are people who believe we just want attention. It was never about attention, no one ever knew my pain, no one ever saw my scars. No one even cared to ask. The stories that no ones shared yet, those are my worst nightmares. Another girl is out there; holding in pain, regret, holding back tears and hiding under a smile. 
------------------------------------------------
Two years ago I met a young girl. I'm gonna call her Jane, and she was trying to hide pain. She was beautiful, peppy, and so many look up to her. But she had scars that she couldn't show. I had a chance to share my story with Jane, I saw her daily. On this day, two years ago I knew that it would be a good day to make an impact. I knew when and where I would run into Jane, so I wrote love on my am. She would know what it meant, and she would understand that I was supporting her. When I saw Jane, she too had written love on her arm. 
------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it's just giving the love and attention to little things. Those who seem to be living life "okay" may also be trying to hide. Our world needs to have open eyes. Our world needs to see the effect that it could be having, and realize the one that it actually has. You, all of us as individuals need to stop living only for ourselves. It's not all about us. Join me, join TWLOHA in showing support today towards others who are hurting, and who have attempted or thought about attempting suicide. 
------------------------------------------------
This is the Love I had written on my arm two years ago. 
I now have love permanently written on my arm as a daily reminder to myself, and a great conversation starters with others. 
------------------------------------------------
Romans 5:8 
------------------------------------------------
Speak up. For you or someone else.  Check out TWLOHA
------------------------------------------------
Don't let silence win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment